Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Author Melanie - Gather for Bread
For whoopie pie cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons half and half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the cookies:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease two baking sheets or line with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl whisk together flour baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves. Set aside.
- Using a mixer combine brown sugar and oil. Mix until smooth. Add eggs one at a time. Mixing after each addition. Add vanilla and pumpkin until combined.
- Gradually stir in flour mixture. Stir for 1 minute.
- Drop by heaping tablespoons onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until springs back. Allow cooling on sheets 1-2 minutes. Remove to cooling racks to cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer beat powdered sugar with butter on low speed. Increase to medium, the mixture will be crumbly. Pour in the half and half cream and vanilla. Beat on high speed until smooth and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Place half of the cookies upside down. Top with a generous sized amount of filling. Place the second cookie on top.