We had about 30 kids participate in this project and we gave them blank journal books and some craft supplies and let them decorate their book however they liked. I asked the students what types of things you could put inside their journals and they had some great ideas. Some of the things they said were: drawings, information on a topic they like (cats! dogs! unicorns!), things that make them happy, things that went good or bad during the day, how they feel, and secrets!
We decorated and I gave them other ideas of things that they could write about. Some of them wrote the prompts at the top of the blank pages, others just got good ideas and helped come up with some other great things to write about.
Some of the suggestions I gave them were:
- Do you get an allowance? How does it work?
- Write a story about life in 2512.
- Do you believe that wishes come true?
- Is it better to have older siblings or younger siblings?
- If you could invent something, what would it be?
- Write a story about a singer who can’t stop singing.
- What is your favorite place to eat?
- How do you feel when you play with your friends?
- What is the first thing you do each day?
- Think of something kind you could for another person today.
- If you could throw a party for the entire school, what would it be like?
- What is the most important thing you’ve learned so far this year?
Here are some pictures of the creation process and the finished projects!